COLOMBIA – Authorities Begin Renewal of Special Stay Permits for Venezuelan Nationals
Effective immediately, Venezuelan nationals in Colombia holding a Special Stay Permit (PEP) can apply online to renew their PEP for a further two years.
The PEP renewal application must be made at least one day prior to the expiry of the existing PEP.
What is the PEP?
- The Special Stay Permit (PEP) was granted to qualifying Venezuelan nationals between August 2017 and April 2019.
- It is granted for a period of ninety calendar days but is renewed automatically without submitting a request, for ninety days at a time, without exceeding a maximum of two years.
- Extension of the PEP may be denied, at the discretion of the immigration authorities, if for example there is improper use of the permit, if there has been an infraction of the legal system, or if the foreigner has exited Colombia and remained abroad for a term longer than ninety calendar days.
- The PEP does not replace the passport as a travel document. Itmust be presented (if required) to the Colombian authorities along with the passport or the national identity document and it will be used as an identification document for Venezuelan nationals in Colombia.
- Individuals or companies that hire or receive a PEP holder are required to file reports about the foreigner’s activities in Colombia to the immigration authority through the SIRE system.
Employers who may be affected are encouraged to contact their Newland Chase immigration consultant for case-specific advice.