Hello, let's see how we can help you !

Find the most commun questions people ask regarding our services

When can I submit my application for a change of status to the Prefecture?

If you have a "Student" residence permit and you have just signed an employment contract or a promise of employment, you can now submit your complete application for a change of status to the Prefecture of your place of residence.

If you have a "Recherche d'Emploi et Création d'Entreprise" (RECE) card, you can either submit your application to change your status 2 to 3 months before it expires - or submit your complete application to change your status after you have signed your employment contract or promise of employment.

Can I start working after I have submitted my application to the Prefecture?

It depends on the status requested. If you are applying for a change of status to a "Talent Passport" type residence permit (qualified employee, European Blue Card, etc.), you can start your work contract as soon as you have submitted your application.

If you are applying for a "Salaried Employee" or "Temporary Worker" residence permit, you can start working up to the limit of 964 hours of your "Student" residence permit while waiting for the work permit validated by the D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E.

How long does it take to process an application?

It depends on the status requested. Changes of status to a "Talent Passport" type residence permit (qualified employee, European Blue Card, etc.) take about 1 to 3 months because the file is only processed by the Prefecture, which reduces the waiting time.

On the other hand, it will take between 3 and 6 months for a change of status to "Salaried Employee" and "Temporary Worker" because the Prefecture must request the D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E. to issue the work permit before proceeding with the production of the residence permit.

The D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E. has a legal deadline of 2 months to examine the application and send the decision to the Prefecture but these deadlines vary according to the geographical areas and their workload.

After how long can I change employers?

You can change employers without having to apply to the administration (D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E. or Prefecture) from two years of validity of your "Employee" or "Talent Passport" residence permit.
If you decide to change less than two years after you have obtained your residence permit, you must then apply to the Prefecture for the "Passeport talent" or to the D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E for the "Salaried Employee" residence permits. Please note that the Prefecture or the D.I.R.E.C.C.T.E. reserves the right to refuse your request to change employer.

On the other hand, in the event of involuntary deprivation of employment during the first two years of the permit's validity, you may change employer. You will then have to refer the matter to the competent administration, which will take your situation into account in order to examine your application.
- Dismissal
- Breach of the probationary period at the initiative of the employer
- Bankruptcy of the company

Article L.313-10 of the CESEDA "the residence permit (employee) is extended for one year if the foreigner is involuntarily deprived of employment. At the time of the next renewal, if he or she is still deprived of employment, a decision will be made on his or her right to residency for a period equivalent to the duration of the rights he or she has acquired to the insurance allowance mentioned in Article L. 5422-1 of the Labour Code. »

Watch out! This does not concern the special provisions applied to Algerian nationals.

Any other question ?

Send an email to : student@expatpartners.com
You will recieve a reply in 24h to 48h.