PORTUGAL – Visa and Residence Procedures Simplified
Regulatory Decree no. 9/2018 , published on 11 September 2018, took effect on 1 October 2018.
As well as Implementing the 2017 amendments to the immigration law qui transposed some EU Directives into Portuguese law (see our previous alert here , the decree seeks to simplify visa and residence permit procedures applying to Reduce and processing times.
Among the changes are the following:
- Visa applications can now be made, and appointments booked for biometric data collection, via a new online visa information portal ;
- Residence permits applications can now be made online, and an appointment for residence permit at the immigration office (SEF) arrival in Portugal). Biometric data and original documents may still be requested;
- Nationals of Portuguese-speaking countries, with a waiver of the interview and livelihood test;
- Procedures for seasonal workers are simplified.
- Employers who may be affected should consult their immigration specialist.